You have skipped the navigation, tab for page content
Panthers bury the Bears

Impressive performances by Dean Blore and Isaac Thompson helped the Jersey Flegg Panthers score a 25-18 victory over the North Sydney Bears at Panthers Stadium.

It took the Panthers only four minutes to open the scoring at Panthers Stadium. Daine Laurie and Shannon Harris combined on the left edge to send Justin Jones over in the corner. Dean Blore nailed the conversion to give the Panthers an early 6-0 lead.

It took a clever dart from Bears hooker Josh Cook to get North Sydney on the board in the 20th minute of game. The conversion attempt from Mawene Hiroti was waved away.

The Panthers dominated possession in the back-end of the half with Laurie capitalising 90 seconds out from the half-time break. Dean Blore gave Laurie early ball and the fullback used his pace to slice through the Bears defence and cross out wide.

Dean Blore’s attempted conversion wasn’t successful, leaving the Panthers with a 6-point lead at the break.

HALF-TIME: Panthers 10-4

The Panthers started the second half in similar fashion to the first as Dean Blore laid on a great ball from front-row forward Jack Quinn to dive over. With Blore’s attempted conversion waved away the Panthers extended their lead to 14-4.

Brian Too got himself into the action when he flew above the defence to claim an Isaac Thompson bomb. Dean Blore failed to convert from out wide.

The Panthers held a 14-point lead before two quick tries to the Bears brought life back into the contest.

Campbell Graham was the first to cross on the right edge in the 52nd minute. The conversion attempt wasn’t successful from Mawene Hiroti.

Minutes later Dean Hawkins laid on a great ball to centre Jake Tago who strolled over the line. Hawkins took over the kicking duties and slotted the conversion from just inside the right touchline to bring the scores to within six.

Zac Ryan broke into the back field and found halfback Isaac Thompson in support in the 63rd minute. Blore converted the try to restore a double digit lead for the Panthers.

A scuffle broke out following the try which saw Daine Laurie and Sam Johnstone finish the game on the sideline.

Campbell-Graham hit back for the Bears as he crossed for his second try in the 67th minute of play. The conversion attempt was waived away which saw the Panthers hold a 24-18 lead with three minutes remaining.

Isaac Thompson sealed the game as he calmly kicked a field goal with 90 seconds remaining to secure a 25-18 victory over North Sydney Bears.

FULL-TIME: Panthers 25-18

Acknowledgement of Country

Penrith Panthers players and staff respect and honour the traditional custodians of the land and pay our respects to their elders past, present and future. We acknowledge the stories, traditions and living cultures of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples on the lands we meet, gather and play on.