You have skipped the navigation, tab for page content

The Penrith Panthers NYC side have put Canberra Raiders to the sword with a 64-8 demolition job at Pepper Stadium on Sunday.

Despite another reshuffled line-up, the young Panthers put together a complete performance, asserting their dominance from kick-off to the final whistle.

Coach Cameron Ciraldo made a number of changes before the game with Dylan Edwards shifted to fullback. Jerome Luai moved into five-eighth to partner his SG Ball partner Nathan Cleary in the halves.

Corey Harawira moved into the centres and Daniel Brown was given his NYC debut on the wing.

The Panthers got off to the perfect start through Stanton Albert in the 3rd minute. A sharp exchange of passes from Penrith’s forwards allowed Albert to stroll under the posts.

Cleary converted the try to take Penrith to a 6-0 lead.

The Panthers continued their momentum in the 8th minute when Cleary took the line on to beat three defenders to score. He successfully converted his own try for a 12-0 lead.

The following set, a mid-field attacking bomb was unable to be caught from the Canberra fullback and Luai was able to regather the ball and scored close to the posts. The conversion was successful for an 18-0 lead

Penrith continued their dominance in the 14th minute when hooker Soni Luke made a smart dart down the short-side putting Fuimanu Enese in the corner to score. Cleary missed the conversion so keep scores at 22-0.

In the 35th minute the Canberra outside backs failed to diffuse another attacking bomb gifting Kaide Ellis a try. The conversion was successful for a 28-0 lead.

With the Canberra defence tiring in the final exchanges of the half, Luke was rewarded for a strong half, beating six defenders through the middle of the field to cross over the line.

Cleary was again successful with the conversion to take the Panthers to a 34-0 half-time lead.

HALF-TIME: Panthers 34-0

The Raiders hit back in the open passage of the second half through winger Thomas Cronan scoring an acrobatic try in the corner. The conversion was unsuccessful and the score remained 34-4.

The Panthers were able to contain the Raiders attack, striking back through powerhouse prop Moses Leota who was too strong close to the line. Cleary converted the try for a 40-4 lead.

The kick-off that followed the try saw Edwards break through the line through some slick footwork. He was able to get the ball away to Harawira who ran the ball underneath the posts to score.

Cleary continued his sharp-shooting form converting the try for a 46-4 lead.

The Raiders outside backs’ tough afternoon continued failing to catch their third bomb.

Two plays following the error Jack Nelson crossed in the corner and the conversion was successful to take Penrith to a 52-4 lead.

The Raiders scored through Cameron Booth in the 68th minute after the Panthers were unable to clean up the ball in their own in-goal. The conversion was unsuccessful and the score remained 52-8.

Enese capped off a strong performance grabbing his second try for the afternoon. With the Raiders on the attack he was able to take an intercept and run 80m to score. Cleary converted a tough conversion to take the score out to 58-8.

In the final moments of the afternoon, Paea Pua broke the line and offloaded to Thomson Tuigimala to cross under the sticks. Cleary finished the afternoon kicking ten goals.

FULL-TIME: Panthers 64-8

Acknowledgement of Country

Penrith Panthers players and staff respect and honour the traditional custodians of the land and pay our respects to their elders past, present and future. We acknowledge the stories, traditions and living cultures of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples on the lands we meet, gather and play on.