Panthers halfback Nathan Cleary has moved into outright second on the Dally M leaderboard despite his side going down to the South Sydney Rabbitohs in their back-and-forth Round 8 encounter.
While it was Rabbitohs fullback Latrell Mitchell who polled the most votes with five on the night, Cleary's three points were enough to move him one point clear clear of Storm hooker Harry Grant and Broncos fullback Reece Walsh (20 points).
Walsh's Brisbane teammate Payne Haas (23 points) currently leads the Dally M after eight rounds with three points in his side's win over the Eels taking him two points clear. Haas is suspended for Round 9, however, which could see Cleary move into top spot with the Panthers taking on the winless Wests Tigers at Bathurst.
Sharks fullback William Kennedy and Dolphins playmaker Isaiya Katoa were the only players to poll the maximum six points on offer for each game, with the duo playing seismic roles in helping their respective teams over the line.
Six different players picked up points in the Roosters and Dragons' thrilling ANZAC Day clash while Nick Meaney (five points) and Nelson Asofa-Solomona (three points) scored well as the Storm came from behind to down the Warriors.
Meaney outstanding from the back
The new Dally M voting process sees two judges watch each game in 2023 and award points on a three-two-one basis, meaning a maximum of six points are available for every match of the 2023 Telstra Premiership season.
Dally M results from Round 8
- Rabbitohs v Panthers: 5 - Latrell Mitchell, 3 - Nathan Cleary, 2 - Stephen Crichton, 1 - Damien Cook, 1 - Hame Sele
- Eels v Broncos: 3 - Payne Haas, 3 - Adam Reynolds, 2 - Herbie Farnworth, 2 - Patrick Carrigan, 1 - Clint Gutherson, 1 - Ezra Mam
- Bulldogs v Sharks: 6 - William Kennedy, 3 - Briton Nikora, 2 - Nicho Hynes, 1 - Blayke Brailey
- Cowboys v Knights: 5 - Scott Drinkwater, 3 - Reece Robson, 2 - Tyson Frizell, 1 - Lachlan Miller, 1 - Valentine Holmes
- Dolphins v Titans: 6 - Isaiya Katoa, 2 - Moeaki Fotuaika, 2 - Jarrod Wallace, 2 - Euan Aitken
- Wests Tigers v Sea Eagles: 4 - Api Koroisau, 3 - Haumole Olakau'atu, 3 - Jason Saab, 1 - Daly Cherry-Evans, 1 - Jahreem Bula
- Roosters v Dragons: 3 - James Tedesco, 3 - Luke Keary, 2 - Jack Bird, 2 - Tyrell Sloan, 1 - Brandon Smith, 1 - Tautau Moga
- Storm v Warriors: 5 - Nick Meaney, 3 - Nelson Asofa-Solomona, 2 - Cameron Munster, 2 - Addin Fonua Blake
Dally M leaderboard after Round 8
- 23 points – Payne Haas (Broncos)
- 21 points – Nathan Cleary (Panthers)
- 20 points – Harry Grant (Storm)
- 20 points – Reece Walsh (Broncos)
- 18 points – Adam Reynolds (Broncos)
- 17 points – Dylan Edwards (Panthers)
- 17 points – Lachlan Miller (Knights)
- 17 points – Shaun Johnson (Warriors)
- 16 points – Ben Hunt (Dragons)
- 16 points – Daly Cherry-Evans (Sea Eagles)
Note: deductions for player suspensions have not been added to the leaderboard.